"Mankind is divided into rich and poor, into property owners and exploited; and to abstract oneself from this fundamental division; and from the antagonism between poor and rich means abstracting oneself from fundamental facts"-Joseph Stalin

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Ukrainian Famine

My five-year plan is working splendidly. Collectivization is a great idea. Not only does it allow for everyone to be equal and serve their country, but I have found another use for it.

The Ukrainians were experiencing a cultural revival. That cannot be tolerated. I could not have such a strong minority contaminating the Soviet Union. I found a way to kill two birds with one stone. I had my collectivization and I could deal with this Ukrainian problem at the same time. During this time of collectivization in the Ukraine, I required them to send more food to the government than they were able to provide considering there was a food shortage from the transition to collective farms. This resulted in a terrible famine from 1932 to 1933.

Estimates usually say that somewhere between 6-10 million Ukrainians died during this famine. This absolutely crushed the Ukrainian nationalism. Of course, it was not to be known that I planned for this to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment